What is a business valuation?
A business valuation or appraisal is the independent and unbiased process of determining a supportable opinion of the value of a business, business ownership interest, security or intangible asset as of a specified date.
Select an experienced valuation firm
All Murphy company valuations are performed by qualified, professional appraisers experienced in all aspects of business valuation and business transfers. Our valuations are performed in compliance with the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice of the Appraisal Foundation (USPAP) as well as the Business Appraisal Standards of the Institute of Business Appraisers. Compliance with industry standards ensures that proven peer-reviewed valuation methods are used to develop defendable opinions of value. Through participation in teleconferences and annual valuation conferences, Murphy appraisers stay abreast of developing valuation issues and related court cases.
Understanding who will need a business valuation
A business valuation is an essential part of running a business and sooner or later every business owner will need an accurate and reliable valuation or an appraisal. Murphy Valuation Services will prepare an independent third party report for a variety of circumstances:
- the sale or acquisition of a business
- an exit strategy
- to obtain a loan or financing
- restructuring from "c" to "s" corp
- valuing intellectual property
- shareholder disputes
- retirement planning
- life insurance
- buy/sell agreements
- employee stock option plan (ESOPs)
- pre-nuptial agreements
- divorce proceedings
- gift and estate taxes
- partnership agreement
Valuation products available
- Calculation of Value Report - A report that presents a calculated value and is compliant with the standards of the Institute of Business Appraisers (IBA) and National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts (NACVA).
- Business Valuation Report – A formal summary report that is used primarily for non-litigation situations. This restricted-use abbreviated report is typically all that is needed for determining the selling price of a business or assisting in establishing a buy-sell agreement between partners/shareholders.
- Business Appraisal Report – This formal comprehensive report is suitable for litigation support and review by third parties such as the IRS. The report explains in a step-by-step manner what was done and how the value was derived.
To learn more visit Murphy Valuation Services